Australian Progressives recognise education as the greatest opportunity for every child in Australia to get the best start in life.
To this end, Australian Progressives will:
- Improve teacher training and remuneration in a similar way to the successful Finnish model.
- Review the national curriculum in order to bring best practice education, with a particular focus on changing one-size-fits-all paradigms, instead encouraging each child’s agency and interests, supporting a thirst for knowledge and the teaching of research, mindfulness, and sound argument.
- Remove excessive testing and inappropriate pushing down of the curriculum and homework into early childhood.
Vocational Education and Training
In the Vocational Sector, Australian Progressives will:
- Hold an industry-wide investigation into the Vocational Education and Training industry on the rorting of the Higher Education Loan Programme (FEE-HELP) and providing substandard courses.
- Re-nationalise and properly fund TAFEs.
- Refocus a majority of State and Federal Vocational Education Sector funding to TAFE and re-regulate the Vocational Education industry.
In the Tertiary Sector, Australian Progressives will:
- Reform student funding to reduce course fees for all tertiary students.
- Reform HECS-HELP so students pay back loans at 1% from $48,000 per year rising to 9% for incomes over $90,000 per year.
- Increase Youth Allowance (Student), AusStudy, and AbStudy. Abolish the Start-up Loan, and introduce a semester allowance of $1500 to help pay for educational materials.
Australian Progressives will:
- Support full needs-based funding through the implementation of the original Gonski Reform Model.