As Australian Progressives, we support the implementation of a comprehensive environment and climate change policies to lay the foundations for a clean, green and sustainable Australia.
Australia is a unique island continent with a declining rate of species biodiversity and rainfall. We believe in protecting the global natural environment and agricultural industries to preserve for future generations. This can only be done by recognising the impacts of climate change here and now and implementing practical policy measures that mitigate and reduce the impact of global warming upon Australia and our local region.
Climate Change is the greatest policy challenge of our time. To combat the negatives of anthropogenic climate change, the Australian Progressives will:
- A broad-based Emissions Trading Scheme.
- Increased funding for alternative energy research and development which may include:
- Funding research into waste incineration technologies and systems for energy creation purposes
- Fund research grants for a range of public and private sector research bodies to pursue innovation in clean green technologies
- Exploration of energy research options and/or the adaptation of nuclear technologies for industry
- Restoration of rebates for domestic solar energy fed back into the grid.
- Means tested subsidy of solar hot water systems up to 25% of the total cost for new consumers with incomes less than $80,000 p.a and up to 50% for concession card holders.
- Industry subsidies for the establishment of solar and wind turbine farms in regional Australia.
- Encourage the uptake of compressed Australian natural gas to gradually replace petroleum-based fuels to back up the transition period to 100% clean, green technologies.
- Transitioning coal out of the economy to be gradually replaced with green energy systems with natural gas back up.
- Advocating a 50% reduction of state vehicle registration costs for fuel efficient cars including hybrid models.
- Restore/increase funding to the Australian Renewable Energy Agency, the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, the CSIRO and re-establish the Climate Change Commission to oversee and report on the policy implementation framework.
- Lock in a 100% renewable energy target by 2030 and 125% by 2060. Renewable Energy to become a key export industry for Australia in the years leading into the next century.
- Target 70% reduction on 2005 emissions levels by 2030.
- Meet or exceed the goals established under the Paris Agreement.
- Impose a 1% operating levy upon the mining sector to help fund transition to green technology.
- Phase out coal mining and production across a ten to fifteen-year period to transition and convert the coal industry to a smart industry operating and delivering green technologies and systems.
- Working with States and Territories to explore options to fund the conversion or subsidies of all motorised public transport vehicles in all jurisdictions to compressed natural gas or other innovative clean energy.
- Phase out fossil fuel subsidies over a ten to fifteen-year period.
- Oppose the proposal for any new coal mines, insofar as there is no sovereign risk.
Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is one of the greatest natural assets Australia enjoys, a great bequest to our nation not from our parents, but from our grandchildren. To ensure the protection of the Great Barrier Reef, Australian Progressives will:
- Immediately halt developments that threaten the Reef
- Investigate options to increase protections for the Reef and move to a sustainable tourism industry.
Conservation and Biodiversity
Australian Progressives support biodiversity in the interests of the environment, to this end Australian Progressives will:
- Improve protections for biodiversity.
- Transition to sustainable industry practices.
- Work with local and state government to eradicate invasive species that threaten natural biodiversity.
- Work with the exports to support sustainable biodiversity.
Land & Water
Our waterways are an essential lifeline for all Australians. For this reason, Australian Progressives will:
- Introduce greater protections for agricultural lands, waterways, national parks, marine sanctuaries, reefs and fisheries from such things as mining, the use of certain pesticides and more.
- Introduce a national water management and irrigation system with increased investment in water capture and storage and irrigation infrastructure.
Australia has a global reputation for safe and innovative agricultural practice. In order to protect this reputation, and the livelihoods of those who work the land, Australian Progressives will:
- Provide support for climate change mitigation.
- Oppose foreign purchase of agricultural land.
- Provide funding for innovative sustainable agricultural development.
While Mining is, and will always remain, an important aspect of the Australian Economy, Australian Progressives will always fight to ensure that it is done in a sustainable manner. For this reason, Australian Progressives will:
- Phase out unconventional gas, coal and oil mining, such as Coal Seam Gas extraction.
- Require upfront capital for environmental restoration works
- Phase out fossil fuel subsidies.